ILYM's Lesson Plan (K - Grade 1)
ILYM's Lesson Plan - Love Placements
GRADE LEVELS: TIME:
Kindergarten – Grade 1 1 Hour 30 Minutes (modify as necessary)
Students will be able to:
- Learn and identify one, two, and three syllable adjectives
- Learn grammar concepts that applies to superlative and comparative adjectives
- Write and use adjectives correctly when speaking
- Build team-player and leadership skills by collaborating with their classmates to complete the activity
- Individually and/or collaboratively assess whether a word is an adjective and determine the adjective’s syllable arrangement
- Apply individual analysis, using the knowledge learned during the activity, to identify additional adjectives that are not used as part of the activity
PRIOR KNOWLEDGE: (is helpful)
- Students should have previously carried out reading and/or activity assignments that discussed adjectives and how they are used
- Students should have been provided an overview and explanation of syllables and provided assistance regarding how to break words down into syllables
- Titled Book I Love You the Mostest (ILYM)
- White/Smart Board,
- White/Smart Board Marker
- Blank Wall Cards
- Paper (Activity Log Sheet)
- Tape or Magnetic Clips
- Prize Candy or Goodies (if lesson plan is conducted as a game activity)
- Instructor will provide an overview and example of the difference between bold and underlined words
- Instructor will read ILYM and write each adjective within the book on a separate wall card. Instructor should yield a stack of wall cards for each corresponding student group.
- Place Magnetic Clips or tape on all wall card and set aside
- Set aside a copy of ILYM and a sheet of paper (activity sheet) for each corresponding group of students
- Create three columns on white/smart board where students would place one, two, and three syllable adjectives
- Set aside the correct number of corresponding prizes for the winning group (if lesson plan is conducted as a game activity)
- Create equal part student groups, based on class attendance, and pass out copies of ILYM and the activity sheet
- Have student groups identify an activity logger within their group who will perform the writing functions of the activity
- Instruct the activity logger to write each student’s name and make two columns (to write bold and underlined words) on the piece of paper.
- Provide student instructions that include the following:
- Listen and observe very carefully during the reading of ILYM
- Identify and write down all words in the book that are bold and underlined on their activity sheet. Activity sheet should have two columns – one column for bold words and one for underlined words.
- Work collaboratively among each other as a team, ask your team members questions or provide assistance to help each other complete the activity
- After reading ILYM, ask students to read aloud all words that were bold.
- Randomly select student groups, allowing groups to collaborate with each other, to determine whether bold words are actual words recognized within the dictionary
- Provide overview informing students of bold words within ILYM that are not listed within a dictionary
- Have students cross out bold words that are not listed within the dictionary on their activity sheet
- Provide a brief overview about adjectives, syllables, and conduct a run through with students of each adjective listed on your pre printed wall cards
- Randomly select student groups to collaboratively identify how many syllables are in each adjectives and place the wall card within the correct column on the board
- Allow all students groups to assess whether the placement of the wall card is correct
- Provide prize/candy to student groups upon providing correct answers
- For incorrect placement of wall cards:
- Select a different student group or allow all groups to provide the correct answer
- Select a student to place the wall card within the correct column
- Continuously assess and provide assistance and reinforcement as student groups carry out efforts to pronounce and/or identify the correct number of syllables in each adjective
- Allow each student group three minutes to brainstorm among each other in order to come up with one or more adjectives that are not currently listed on the white/smart board
- Have student group determine which column the adjective would be placed
- Did it benefit students by being able to work within a group setting?
- Were students able to easily identify the number of syllables in each adjective?
- Were students able to easily read and pronounce adjectives listed within ILYM?
- What adjustment(s) would you make in order to yield more benefits when carrying out this lesson plan in the future?
- Did students seem to enjoy participating and learning during the activity?
- Were all objectives of this lesson plan fulfilled? If not, what actions could have been carried out in order to satisfy objectives?
Handout #1 I Love You the Mostest
Handout #2 Activity Log Sheet
Handout #3 Pre-printed wall cards